Delaware Art Museum debuts mural created with Dickinson students

The mural produced for the Mural Arts Interpretation Project was created specifically to honor Black History Month.

Sofia Rose, Journalist

At the Delaware Art Museum, Dickinson junior Nayely Rojas and former Dickinson student Alice Seon worked on a student mural through the Mural Arts Interpretation Project, which was unveiled on Thursday, Feb. 4. Created specifically for Black History Month, the mural will be part of the museum’s celebration and observance of Black history.

According to Art is Now, the museum’s monthly bulletin, the student’s work is on view until Feb. 28 on the lower level of the Delaware Art Museum.

The public opening of the mural was a grand event, mainly attended by friends and family members of the young artists. Food was available for the attendees, and the free event also allowed people to wander the galleries until the museum closed.

The student’s mural was inspired by Aaron Douglas, an African American artist who was incredibly influential in the Harlem Renaissance. The original mural is in a house in Hockessin around a fireplace.  A painting done as a study in preparation for the final piece is part of the museum’s permanent collection.

Mural Interpretation Project participants Alice Seon adn Nayely Rojas stand in front of their work with article's author, Sofia Rose.
Mural Interpretation Project participants Alice Seon and Nayely Rojas stand in front of their work with article’s author, Sofia Rose.

Working with six other local students from the Wilmington area, and with artist Chad Cortez Everett, Rojas and Seon created a beautiful and colorful piece.

“[My favorite part was] getting to know other people and learning to combine [their] ideas into one big one,” Rojas said.

The student painting uses the same elements as the original piece, but updated with a bright color scheme and powerful words like “WORTHY”, “LOVE URSELF”, “SCREAM”, “MELANIN” and “IT”S OKAY.” These words address some of the issues youth in America face, like self-esteem, racism, depression, and finding one’s place in the world.

“The importance of black excellence was a very big issue we addressed…and the coming of all races into perspective,” Rojas said.

Seon wasn’t entirely satisfied with the final piece.“I wanted to do some beautiful stuff, but there are so many dark words in it…but I think was such a good opportunity, and I learned that people can give me amazing ideas,” she said.