IB art exhibition wows attendees

Sofia Rose

On March 30 and 31, the front lobby of John Dickinson High School was filled with stunning artworks. Pieces dealt with topics like black power, family, natural conservation, feminism, grief, mental illness, and more. As a culmination of their Visual Art class, International Baccalaureate students are required to curate an exhibition of their art projects. Pictures of the exhibition are sent to evaluators worldwide to be graded for the students’ IB Diplomas. Each IB Senior in Ms. Covert’s Visual Art class spent over 240 hours in the studio creating intricate pieces of art, and this event was their chance to let their artwork shine. A few pieces that stuck out were Amanda Korwek’s “Feminism” for its striking use of street art style typography and its blatant, in-your-face message; Emily Jones’s heartbreaking piece on the girl who was killed at Hodgson Vocational Technical High school last year; and Alejandra Villanobos’s “Pillowcase”, which was a pillowcase she embroidered with small motifs to represent the obstacles that women face in getting their education. “Seeing the interaction between the students and visitors” was one of the most rewarding parts of the show, Ms. Covert said. Sarah Gotthold, one of the IB seniors whose work was shown in the exhibition, also loved “the collaboration between the artist and the audience.” It was incredibly rewarding for her to share the meanings of the pieces she had spent so long on with her family and friends, Gotthold said For Gotthold, the show “was the biggest relief of [her]entire life.” Indeed, the class was a lot of hard work for the students. In addition to their art show, the students were expected to write a Comparative Study of three famous art pieces and create a Process Portfolio demonstrating how their art style had changed and matured over the course of their two years in the class. The students in IB were also required to curate and create their art exhibition as part of their grade. “It [The art show] was self-motivated and self-driven and self-curated,” Ms. Covert explained. Ms. Covert is also relieved the show is over, “but kind of sad at the same time, because students who worked really hard are leaving.”