Football forfeits for safety reasons

Sofia Rose, Editor in Chief

Looking back at the fall sports season, athletes and students alike are once again wondering about the decision to cancel the last five football games.
The 14-6 win against Delcastle at the beginning of the season on September 8, caused the team to struggle with the choice of whether or not to forfeit. Unfortunately, they were not able to follow through on their initial success. Jalique Holden, one of only three seniors on the varsity team, said that the whole group shared the “mindset” that they were “not going to have this season be like last year,” during which the team lost every single game.
“You’ve got to understand,” Holden said, “Our team… is full of a bunch of 14- to 15-year-olds. We had like 30 freshmen…you can’t really do too much there.”

The coaches echoed some of Holden’s concerns about the size and experience of the players. “We were concerned for the health of our kids because we had small numbers and small stature. Our kids were really a JV team being forced to play varsity,” said Coach Patrick Bufano.

Combine that factor with low attendance, and it was nearly impossible to field a team. Teams need to “build a rapport and trust… as [they] work together day in and day out,” explained Head Coach Paul LaSorsa. “That work needs to occur between January and July. August is when you get to see that work pay off.”
Ultimately, it was a decision for the safety of his team, said Coach LaSorsa. In a demanding contact sport like football, it is simply unfair to pit the bulky players that fill the rosters of other high school teams against players who weigh in just over 135 pounds. “It’s physics,” said LaSorsa. The bigger player will win every time. It is very difficult, according to LaSorsa, to be the one to tell a parent that their kid got hurt.