Diverse holiday traditions celebrated by Dickinson students

Staff

Five students shared how they celebrate the holiday season.  From parcels to pickles to posadas, each student discussed their favorite traditions that make the winter holidays special to them.

“In my family, we have a very European style of Christmas. To start off, we have Christmas dinner at noon and have cold-cuts and biscuits with tea for dinner. During our Christmas tea, we…‘pass the parcel’. ‘Pass the parcel’ is a present that has been wrapped hundreds of times. Whoever peels off the last piece of wrapping paper keeps the object.” -Ian Chinnery

“Mexican tradition around Christmas-time is posadas. It’s when Mexican families get together and every single day, after the twelfth of December until the twenty-fourth, they meet in different families’ homes, and then they pray the rosary. Every day, you pray even more, and in between prayers, they sing songs with guitars and instruments. Then at the end of it, they eat a lot of Mexican food and it’s awesome.” -Ulises Sanroman

“For Christmas, instead of getting all of us individual gifts, we get a whole family gift. Either we travel, or we get a big appliance for the house or something that we all just really want.” -Xandria DeLeon

“My family’s Christmas tradition is spending a lot of time together, and we usually spend the whole day together and eat dinner. Then, we’ll gather around the tree and do the ‘find the pickle’ thing! The pickle thing is one person takes the pickle and hides it, and everyone else has to find it on the tree. It blends in so all the kids and the parents have to find it. Whoever finds the pickle gets a special prize.”-Meghan Leach

“In my tradition, we celebrate a two-part holiday. Eid-ul-fitr comes after the month of Ramadan, the month of fasting, and ends when you see the crescent moon with a star over it. After fasting, we rejoice in huge festivity. We give to charity and to children who need clothes.  For Eid-ul-adha, a family raises an animal such as a goat, cow, camel…anything Muslims are allowed to eat. You would keep it, and sacrifice it to Allah. You give one-third of this animal to the poor, give one-third to friends and family, and keep one-third for yourself.” -Nazia Chowdhury