Swimmers set and meet improvement goals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Swimmers set and meet improvement goals

Rebecca Manthorpe, center lane, diving into the pool in an event against William Penn High School at McKean High School

Casey Dower

Casey Dower

Casey Dower

Casey Dower, Journalist

The sound of cheers and chants from the team and splashing fills the closed space of the pool. “Let’s go, Dickinson!” Patricia Seeman, a coach and gym teacher, shouts, as the swimmers are cheered for while they pull themselves out of the water.

But in school, there is no congratulations and there is no cheering in class. “Swimming is an unrecognized sport, itself, in school,” says boys’ swimming coach, Brett Townsend.

Because of this, he and coach Kathy Sheehy, the girls’ swimming coach, set personal goals. Both coaches want their swimmers to grow as individuals during the season.

Rebecca Manthorpe, a swimmer at Dickinson for three years, says her favorite part of swimming is the fun of it.

Manthorpe says,“It’s a great way to be with friends and play a sport. Plus, there’s no running!” Manthorpe also says that she feels motivated by the coaches to push herself and always beat her last time.

Zach Bright, a swimmer on the team for one year, says he uses swimming as a way to train for Ironman Triathlons, a 17-hour event that consists of swimming, bike riding, and running. Bright says, “The atmosphere is my favorite part. It’s a very self driven sport and that’s why I like it.”CD_swimming_graphic

In the 2014-2015 season, Manthorpe’s best time, for the 100 free, was 77081 milliseconds. This season, her best time for the same event was 66000 milliseconds. The loss of 11081 milliseconds allows Manthrope to be just that much faster.
Zach Bright, always competing in the 100 free, swam a best time of 65074 milliseconds in the previous season, improving his time by a decrease of 1069 milliseconds. This improvement, much like Manthorpe, allows Bright to be 1069 milliseconds faster during the swimming second and his Ironman Triathlon.